Saturday, February 11, 2012

Welcome

Welcome to The Life of Neon. 

This blog will be chronicling my adventure into the world of neon signs. I will be sharing my progress and process as I create photographs that will eventually be displayed in a coffee table book. My intent is to share with you the art of creating a neon sign, the unique locations that they are displayed in once complete and or course where they end up, either in personal collections or abandoned. I will also be showcasing the artists, known as benders, who create these signs.

This project was inspired by a series of images that I created of motel signs, mostly neon, in June of 2011. I decided to continue this project after, to my disappointment, seeing that one of the beautiful vintage signs I had photographed had been replaced by a plastic sign. Because of this I want to learn why businesses choose either to repair or replace their signs that have long been in front of their location.

 Throughout this project I would love ANY feedback. Any knowledge to help improve my understanding of neon is also appreciated! I would also love critiques on the individual images that I post to help me better the images I am creating for this series.

Finally If you know of an awesome Neon Sign and would like to see it photographed, please let me know ASAP.  If you HAVE a sign collection, or work somewhere with a Neon Sign - Contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment