Friday, February 17, 2012

Eat Street & Minnehaha Liquors

On February 5th Katie Engleman (blog) and I made plans to tackle a portion of Eat Street. We met at The Spyhouse Coffee shop on Nicollet Ave. Starting our evening around 6 pm. For me this was, of course, an adventure in capturing the neon signs of the area. For Katie it was about the people and the businesses of the neighborhood. I did not find much neon, other than open signs on our adventure. Though it was a fantastic time going out shooting in a new area, stepping out of our comfort zones, and shooting with a wonderful photographer who I have not had many opportunities to make photographs with.
The one sign that I found that fascinates me is the  Franklin-Nicollet Liquor Store. It was not lit up, but I do plan on returning and creating more photographs. I think in my final book I will display the two images together, contrasting the two images and showing how the glow of neon changes the feel of a location.























My adventure with Katie was the second part of my evening of creating photographs. I had plans to stop at Target, on Lake street, on my way to meet up with Katie. Turns out I get distracted by neon signs very easily. Minnehaha Liquors was lit up and calling my name. For photos of course, not the liquid inside of the store. I feel I created a lot of beautiful images of the Liquor Store. The color in the sky was still hanging on by it's final threads, which made for a stunning blue backdrop for my images.



I have been enjoying my abstract shots of these neon signs. I feel it captures the neon tubing in a way where you look at the craftsmanship of the sign as well as the sign itself.  For these specific photographs I love the way that the tree branches add a natural element to this giant man made sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment